For this oral history project, 36 people from eight decades of Rambert’s history were interviewed about their involvement in and experience of the Company. They include dancers, choreographers, artistic directors, music directors, members of staff, a conductor, a stage designer, a television producer, an audience member, and Marie Rambert’s grandson. Their recollections span from 1941 to 2017.
Browse the collection via the thumbnails below, or use the filter to find references to people, dance works, places, and events.
Filter by subject
- ...for those who die as cattle (Bruce, 1972) (1)
- 7DS (Veldman, 2000) (1)
- A Linha Curva (Galili, 2009) (1)
- A Tragedy of Fashion (Ashton, 1926) (1)
- Andrée Howard (1)
- Angela Ellis (1)
- Anna Sokolow (2)
- Antony Tudor (1)
- Ashley Dukes (4)
- Australia & New Zealand tour (1)
- Ballets Russes (1)
- BBC Dance for Camera Series (1)
- Berlin (3)
- Bertram Batell's Sideshow (The Company, 1970) (5)
- Big Top, Battersea Park (2)
- Carlos Miranda (2)
- Celebration (Davies, 1979) (1)
- Central School of Arts and Craft (1)
- Chiswick Studios (1)
- Choreography (2)
- Christopher Bruce (15)
- Classical Ballet (12)
- Conflicts (Morrice, 1962) (1)
- Contemporary Art (1)
- Contemporary Dance (25)
- Cruel Garden (Bruce/Kemp, 1977) (5)
- Dance animateurs (1)
- Dance for older people (1)
- Dance UK (1)
- Dance Umbrella (1)
- Dark Elegies (Tudor, 1937) (8)
- Diversities (Taylor, 1965) (1)
- Don Quixote (Gorsky, 1900/1962) (3)
- Embarque (Davies, 1988) (1)
- ENSA (1)
- Filming dance for television (1)
- Frederick Ashton (1)
- Gavin Higgins (2)
- Ghost Dances (Bruce, 1981) (6)
- Giselle (Coralli/Perrot/Petipa, 1884/1946/1965) (3)
- Glen Tetley (8)
- Grey Matter (Veldman, 1997) (1)
- Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival (2)
- John Chesworth (6)
- Judgement of Paris (Tudor, 1938/1940) (1)
- Kaleidoscope (Gore, 1949) (1)
- Kim Brandstrup (1)
- Kol Simcha (1)
- L'après-midi d'un faune (Nijinsky, 1912/1931) (1)
- La Sylphide (Bournonville, 1836/1960) (1)
- Les Sylphides (Fokine, 1909/1930) (1)
- Lindsay Kemp (2)
- London Musici (1)
- Lucette Aldous (1)
- Mark Baldwin (4)
- Maude Lloyd (1)
- Merce Cunningham (7)
- Mercury Theatre (7)
- Michael Clark (1)
- Movimientos (Charnley, 1952/1952) (1)
- Nadine Baylis (2)
- New Movement Collective (1)
- Norman Morrice (10)
- Parades Gone By (Kemp, 1979) (2)
- Paula Hinton (3)
- Pierrot Lunaire (Tetley, 1962/1967) (5)
- Plainsong (Davies, 1981/1991) (1)
- Prismatic Variations (Paltenghi, 1950) (1)
- Rag Dances (Tetley 1971) (4)
- Ralph Koltai (3)
- Rambert Archive (1)
- Rambert School (6)
- Richard Alston (7)
- Robert North (3)
- Rooster (Bruce, 1991/1994) (1)
- Sally Gilmour (4)
- Scottish Opera (1)
- Simple Symphony (Gore, 1944) (2)
- Sounding (Davies, 1989) (1)
- Stage Design (1)
- Swansong, (Bruce, 1987/1995) (2)
- That is the Show (Morrice, 1971) (3)
- The Rite of Spring (Nijinsky, 1913) (4)
- The Tempest (Tetley, 1979) (2)
- Tis Goodly Sport (Taylor, 1970) (1)
- Touchbase (Cunningham, 1992) (1)
- Trisha Brown (3)
- Two Brothers (Morrice, 1958) (1)
- Walter Gore (7)
- Winnsboro' Cotton Mill Blues (Davies, 1992) (1)
- Winter Night (Gore, 1948) (1)
- Youth dance (1)
- Ziggurat (Tetley, 1967) (2)
View all tags
Choreographer Richard Alston was Rambert's Artistic Director 1986-1992.
Mark BaldwinMark first danced with Rambert in 1979 and in 2002 was appointed Artistic Director.
Cecilia Barrett and Allan MorganDancer Cecilia Barrett and conductor Allan Morgan talk about their time at Rambert during the 1960s.
Joan BoothAs Marie Rambert's assistant, Joan Booth was on Ballet Rambert's post-war tour to Germany in 1945.
Val BourneVal Bourne talks about her role as publicity officer at Rambert from 1966 to 1976.
Andy BrentnallAndy Brentnall talks about Rambert from a supporter’s perspective.
Sylvia BriarAs a dancer in the 1940s, Sylvia Briar went on the famous Australia/New Zealand tour, 1947-1949.
Christopher BruceChoreographer Christopher Bruce was Rambert's Artistic Director 1994-2002.
Susan CooperSusan Cooper danced with Rambert from 1969 to 1974.
Peter CurtisPeter danced with Rambert in the 1960s as it transformed from a classical ballet to a contemporary dance company.
Siobhan DaviesSiobhan Davies recalls her time as Associate Choreographer at Rambert from 1988 to 1992.
Aidan DunAidan Dun talks about his grandmother, Marie Rambert.
Shirley Rees EdwardsShirley Rees Edwards talks about her career with Rambert from 1949 to 1953.
Adam Gatehouse and Nicoline NystromAdam Gatehouse was Music Director 1974-1978; Nicoline Nystrom was a dancer in the 1950s and 1960s. (Content advice: strong language.)
Beryl GoldwynBeryl Goldwyn joined Ballet Rambert in 1949 and danced many principal roles.
Laura HarveyAnimateur Laura Harvey helped develop Rambert's youth dance programme in the 2000s.
Keith HodiakKeith Hodiak danced with Rambert from 1972 to 1975.
Paul HoskinsPaul Hoskins talks about his role as Music Director of Rambert.
Ronald HyndRonald Hynd recalls his days as a student and dancer at Rambert from the 1940s.
Lindsay KempChoreographer and performer Lindsay Kemp collaborated on landmark 1970s Rambert productions. (Content advice: strong language.)
Ralph KoltaiDesigner Ralph Koltai recalls his work for Rambert between 1958 and 1977.
Bob LockyerAs the BBC's Head of Dance in the 1970s and 1980s, Bob Lockyer filmed several Rambert works for television.
Mikaela Polley and Angela TowlerMikaela Polley and Angela Towler talk about life as dancers and rehearsal directors at Rambert.
Jane PritchardJane Pritchard was Rambert’s first archivist (1982-2005).
Dreas ReynekeDreas Reyneke was a Rambert dancer from 1962 to 1972.
June Sandbrook and Jenny KellyJune Sandbrook and Jenny Kelly were Rambert dancers during the 1950s and 1960s.
Prue SkenePrue was Executive Director of Rambert, 1975-1986, and Chair of the Board, 2000-2009.
Jonathan (Jack) TaylorJonathan (Jack) Taylor was a dancer and choreographer with Rambert, 1960-1974. (Content advice: strong language.)
Didy VeldmanDidy Veldman recalls her years as a Rambert dancer and choreographer.
John Webley and Kenneth BannermanJohn Webley was an administrator and Kenneth Bannerman a dancer with Rambert from the 1950s on.
Glenn WilkinsonGlenn Wilkinson talks about his 17 years as a Rambert dancer and teacher.
Interviewer: Claire Izzard; filmmaker: Paul Izzard.
With the assistance of the oral history volunteers: Alison, Christine, Fiona, Georgina, Jo, Joy, Leslie, Lyndsay, Mary, Mil, Paula, Peter, Rosie, Ruth.